Wednesday, March 19, 2014
The first day of SPRING is tomorrow, yet I'm eager today to find a little inspiration in some beautiful pins. My to-do list this spring, if you will:
Mind you, we've had 3 dust storms in the last week. Where the heck do I live?! After a couple of months of living here, I didn't think a whole lot of it when people asked, "Wow, you are from North Carolina? WHY would you move to Amarillo?!," but almost two years later, we still get asked that on a regular basis. I get it. Last night I woke up up scratching my chafed skin, unable to breath, wanting to claw my eyeballs out because they were SO dry. I'll be happily packing my bags and getting ready for some beautiful sunshine. Our next adventure is so very soon and I can't wait to start checking a few of these things off my list!
Thursday, March 13, 2014
So I'm definitely not betting on any sort of birthday gift this year from my hubby (hello, we're going to Jamaica and our Anniversary comes first), but it IS the BIG 30, so I can dream, right? The two month countdown officially starts tomorrow. Eesh. And the thought of saying goodbye to my roaring 20's .... I have mixed feelings. It seems like the decade of my 30's may bring on a whole bunch of pressure/expectations that I'm just not ready to quite face quite yet. Which is totally OK, but that's my reality. And while I'm certain my 30s will also bring on some amazing & fabulous experiences and chapters in my life, the next decade has sort of snuck up on me a tiny bit!
Anyway, enough about all of that. Some pretty awesome things have been on my radar this week that I'm going to add to my wishlist.
Erin Gates from Elements of Style has come out with her first book and it's available for pre-order now (and at a special low price)! My coffee table is totally begging for this beaut. I cannot wait to read through because she was one of the first bloggers I really ever kept up with many moons ago. And I still do, to this day!
Teil Duncan's pop-up shop at Furbish (Happening NOW!) is really catching my eye. Original artwork starts at less than $100, and I LOVE the beachy scenes. I love the happy and pretty colors! Though, I'm slightly confused as to what may be less than $100...a teeny tiny canvas? No idea. I can shoot for a medium sized one, though, yes?
I know, I know, I know. I still have not gotten the dern throw pillows in the Chiang Mai dragon pattern for our bedroom. I also want a fancy monogram throw/or shams, too. And drapes! I want this project DONE! I need a giftcard to The Workroom!!
My mom tried to get me a subscription to Lonny for Christmas, but they weren't offering those yet. Shortly after, I think they've started offering them. Natrually, I still haven't ordered mine, so it's going on my bday list!
And for good measure, yall, some jewlraaay. That's right. Hey-Loren Hope just came out with some brand new stunners, which I'll never be able to afford. But! Luckily for me, I'm still a fan of last season's stuff and there's no shame in my game because it just so happens to be ON SAY-ULLLLE. Word. Please excuse my obnoxiousness. Slightly excited. (Also-mother's day is in 2 months, too. Just sayin).
Anything else I should be considering?! 'Preciate it, friends.
Monday, March 10, 2014
So, I should have made an exception to my no shopping rule. I brought down all my summer clothes this weekend in an effort to "shop my closet" for our upcoming trip. I did snag two dresses on super clearance at Lilly Finch last month, but a few things fell short that I think I may need for the tropics (and summer, in general): a white cover-up (found one for 30% off with free shipping at Loft!) and then I stumbled upon these palm pants. I'm hoping these can be dressed up with a black top and then thrown own over a (light pink) bikini and worn as beach pants! I ended up not getting the blue pants in my packing post (or over half of the things mentioned for that matter-it was merely an inspiration packing list), but for less than $25, I'm pulling the trigger. I've been obsessed with the palm/banana leaf look that was everywhere last year, yet cannot be found this year in the form of an affordable frock! Thank you, F21!
I think I speak for mostly everyone when I say bring on the warmer temps!
Wednesday, March 5, 2014
Better late than never, yes? My apologies for the lack of posting!! I say that alot, right? I'm hoping I find a better blog groove in the next few weeks, however, I have been working incredibily hard on a new site! Anyway, here we are 3 months into the year! Woah. How are y'all doing on your new year resolutions, etc etc? If I am going to evaluate myself and be honest, I'd say I'm trying to truck along! Some things are not in my control--change of jobs, waiting on work, other people! Some set backs have really put a damper on my attitude, but I have faith that things happen for a reason. I'm trying not to feel defeated or mad. When you know you shouldn't take things personally, it is a huge triumph to brush it off. I have a hard time with doing just that. I also know that things are going to pick up and maybe I should be using this bit of downtown to really focus on good daily habits. Health wise, I've been working out 3-4 times each week, but I'm hoping that I can kick up my cardio. I'm also cutting gluten and cheese for 2 weeks to see how that affects my body. TRUST me, it is going to be SO hard! I successfully completed all but 1 of my February goals! I'm still struggling with breakfast on a daily basis. I don't usually wake up very hungry, but I have been choosing healthy snacks throughout the day. For March, I've really thought about what I want to change or what habits I'd like to really make stick and how that may happen. Financial Peace is done & we're feeling inspired to continue giving, continue budgeting, and evaluate our savings. I'm going to focus more on what we HAVE. We've really been enjoying our small group, too, so I'm glad to report how that's been a great thing. I'm really getting excited about seeing my parents soon. I had to miss my dad's big birthday celebration this past weekend and that was
depressing difficult. I also missed a dear friend's wedding shower and when all the girls facetimed me, I basically lost my marbles when I got off the phone. I miss everyone SO much. On a brighter note, the official countown is on until we're in Jamaica!!! Bring it, March!
1. Make a plan for breakfast- be it, a frittata that I can make ahead and heat up for the next few days or try something new once a week and actually make it!
2. Cut out gluten and cheese for 14 days. Reintroduce it and see how I feel. I'm not interested in being #gfree because of the bandwagon misconception that it's going to make you slimmer. I've been working out for over two months and my mid section is still bloated and just not slimming down. (seriously, wth!) Suzi (who owns the gym) insisted that I should cut these things out as a test to see if it changes anything. It likely will. If I have to break up with pasta, I will be forever sad. And probably bitter.
3. Kick up the cardio. I LOVE the barre classes that I've been going to, but I need to add in spin/pump/zumba or a jog 2 or 3 times a week!
4. NO SHOPPING! While this isn't a lent thing, I'm not shopping for clothing this month. I'm participating in the #stylememarch challenge on Instagram, hosted by Dean Street Society! My 1 exception will be a swimsuit IF the one I exchanged doesn't fit once it arrives.
5. Declutter. We have junk drawers stuffed to the brim and a guest room that tends to just collect crap. I'd like to get a move on purging and actively assessing these spaces!
6. I have a fairly time consuming project I'm working on and I need it to at least be sent off to print by next week. Totally a goal!
7. Collaborate with a friend with blogging--I'm unsure what this means quite yet, but I'd like to reach out and feature someone and viceversa.
8. With that said, STICK to my blog plan! I made one, but my heart hasn't been into making it happen. I'm not sure why not.
9. Taxes/insurance/etc! This is clearly a joint effort with Steven. We've just got to update everything and get it done.
And here's a sneek peak at my last project. We got to go to Boulder and I got to see the home that I assisted in designing!!! My job was to help my client pick out all the finishings, lighting, countertops, hardware, floors, paint, etc etc etc. She worked with the builder and a cabinet designer for all the actual design work, but I was hired to help finalize the visual aspect. I've got better photos of the space and of the bathrooms, so I'll get to share soon. It was like being in a dream. Seriously it was the most lovely kitchen I've seen. My client has amazing taste! I am so grateful for the experience.
Share your goals if you've got 'em!